Your home interior design idea will be incomplete without a sofa in your living room. There are lots of activities that take place on the sofa. From watching TV and reading books to spending quality time with family and having coffee with guests, the sofa is certainly the most important furniture piece in your living room design. Hence, it is very important that you pick the right sofa design for the room. There are lots of crucial factors you will have to take into consideration before finalising your decision. This will help you to make the right decision for your home interior design idea.
One of the first things you will have to consider while buying a living room sofa is the fabric. There are many different fabrics available. However, not all of them are durable. Some can easily damage when the sofa is used frequently. If you have kids in the house and they accidentally spill something on your sofa, the fabric can stain also. People with furry pets might encounter problems maintaining certain kinds of fabrics. To avoid all these problems, the best option would be leather. Besides being durable, the material feels comfortable. Also, it has a stylish appearance and can make your sofa design the centre of attention in your living room design.
Facts about leather sofas you should know before buying
You can find many leather sofas in the market for your home interior design idea. However, here are a few things you should keep in mind before making any decision:
- Animal skin is used for producing leather like cattle hide.
- For treating your leather sofa, only use a particular vegetable dye called aniline. It keeps the material supple and ensures that the sofa appears new for years.
- You get various colours while choosing leather because some leathers are treated with a small quantity of pigment.
- Leather is stain-resistant because a surface coating is added to keep it protected.
- Leather upholstery also gets attractive when it ages. Hence, the furniture piece can be used for generations if maintained properly. This will reduce your expenses in the long run.
- If you want to use your sofa for a long time, paying attention to the quality of the leather would not be sufficient. You will have to focus on the other aspects of the sofa as well, like inner frames, suspension, cushions, etc.
- Leather is expensive compared to many alternatives. Hence, buying a cheap option means that you are compromising on quality.
- Top-quality leather sofas feature top-grain or full-grain leather, and the frames are made of hardwood.
- Comfort depends on the cushion and the suspension quality of the sofa.
- Animal lovers can buy faux leather instead of real leather. Although it feels and looks like real leather, it is more affordable and easy to clean.
What are the advantages of a leather sofa?
If you are not sure about whether you should buy a leather sofa or not for your living room design, here are a few advantages that will convince you:
01 of 07 A classy and timeless appeal
People buy leather sofas because of their stylish looks. They are one of the best options if you want more elegance and sophistication in your living room. You can add a touch of luxury instantly by adding one to your living room decor. Also, you do not have to worry about its look even when it gets old.
02 of 07 Many colours
You cannot add any colour to your home interior design idea. All the colours should be added very carefully to ensure that they complement each other. Since you get lots of options when choosing the colour of your leather sofa, you do not have to worry about finding the right colour.
03 of 07 A versatile design
You can buy a leather sofa for almost any home interior design. These sofas have a versatile appearance and complement all types of home decor. Whether you have an elaborately designed living room design or a minimalist one, your leather sofa will look good in both setups.
04 of 07 High durability
Durability is a huge concern whenever you choose any furniture for your home. Besides the inner frame, all the other elements should be made using durable materials as well. Leather is one of the most durable materials you can find for your sofa upholstery. Neither does it get damaged easily nor crack over time.
05 of 07 Easy to clean
Maintenance is a very crucial aspect. If you do not have a lot of free time, avoid buying materials that are difficult to clean. Ignoring timely cleaning can ruin the appeal of the sofa. Leather requires very little cleaning. Also, if you spill something on it, the material can be easily cleaned.
06 of 07 A comfortable option
The comfort level is very crucial when you are buying a sofa. Otherwise, people will not be able to sit on it for a long time. Since leather is soft and comfortable, people can easily spend a lot of time on it.
07 of 07 A hypoallergenic
Many people are allergic to synthetic fabrics. Further, certain types of fabrics can trap dust. People allergic to dust might not be able to use a sofa featuring these fabrics. Since leather is hypoallergenic, people with allergies can use a leather sofa.